On an average day, RWBAHC provides 47 immunizations, fills 636 prescriptions in the pharmacy, performs 247 lab services and 24 x-rays. We also average 28 optometry exams, 399 primary care appointments and 36 behavioral health visits daily.
We are here to provide you with world-class healthcare and strive to be the first choice for your healthcare because we share the military culture and values.
The first Fort Huachuca dispensary was a 35-foot by 18-foot stockade mud-roof building constructed in 1877 to serve troops B and M, 6th Cavalry, and Camp Huachuca’s early company of Indian scouts.
The second hospital building was completed in 1880 at a cost of $1,289. It was a six-bed wood and adobe facility and is Fort Huachuca’s oldest building. It is currently used as senior officer quarters (Carleton House).
Fort Huachuca’s third hospital was completed in June 1885. This building continued to be Fort Huachuca’s hospital until 1941 (56 years). The building is now the finance center and stands at the corner of Boyd and Christy streets.
The fourth hospital opened in May 1941. This hospital consisted of two buildings (Station Hospital 1 and 2). Because segregation was still in effect, the larger hospital building, Station Hospital 1, was designated as the largest of only two “all black” hospitals in the United States. At its peak, the Station Hospitals on Fort Huachuca operated with 1,135 beds. In 1944, the facility was designated a “regional hospital” and was later selected as a testing location for the “new drug” penicillin.
The groundbreaking for Fort Huachuca’s fifth hospital, Raymond W. Bliss Army Community Hospital, was in July 1965, and the facility was dedicated in July 1967. It was a three-story, state-of-the-art hospital with a 110-bed capacity.
In 1997, as the delivery of healthcare transformed in the military and staffing and funding decreased, the hospital downsized to a “super clinic.” This designation meant that it would no longer provide services on a 24-hour schedule, however, it continued to provide urgent care, ambulatory surgery and routine health care.
Today, Raymond W. Bliss Army Health Center (RWBAHC) provides primary care for Soldiers, their families and retirees and their dependents serving about 11,000 patients
We have embraced the Patient-Centered Medical Home model throughout the clinic and recently consolidated Active Duty/Permanent Party Soldiers into one clinic for better continuity of care. We have two primary care clinics on the first floor, Apache Ridge and Coyote Creek.
Patients needing specialty care, such as surgeries, or consultations not provided within the clinics, are sent out to the surrounding network. Providers work closely with network specialists to ensure their patients receive the best care possible.